click on the menu below to navigate this site

Skip Navigation Links
JournalExpand Journal
MusicExpand Music
Your Care Plan
MemorialsExpand Memorials
ArticlesExpand Articles
Email List

Tokyo Japan


Monday, February 18, 2008

Julia in the Maid Cafe with the maid just out of shot. They would not let us take a picture so we tried to sneaked one.

We left Nikko this morning for Tokyo. It was only about 3 hours away and two trains so it was relatively easy to get there. Tokyo is a really large city with a population of 30 million people.

The first place we had to visit after we checked into our hotel was the area known as Electric Town. This is where you can buy all sorts of electronic gizmos and gadgets. After a visit to the Laox store we had to look in on one of Tokyo's Maid Cafes. These are cafes that have Japanese girls serving in them that dress like French Maids and other guises. They are supposed to act out in a subservient manner to guests which are typically young male geeks.

After this we went to the Ginza district which is the up market high-end shopping district. Ginza at night.

Julia, Andy, and I were not the typical clientele so we got a strange performance from them, but it was interesting.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Tuna before it was cut up for our breakfast. In the words of that famous song: I think I am turning Japanese; I really think so.

Got up very early this morning and took the subway to the Tokyo Fish Market. This is the market that supplies most of the fish in Tokyo; and believe me that is a lot of fish. The place was a madhouse of activity with people processing and packaging fish and others buying and selling fish. We saw all kinds of critters some we knew and might have even eat once; others we had no idea about and really did not want to know.

Andy and Julia enjoying our walk.

Once we had made our rounds of the market we took part in a Tokyo ritual of eating a sushi and sashimi breakfast at one of the many hole-in-the-wall restaurants at the market. It was still very early morning and I must admit it took some warming up to the idea of eating raw fish at this time of the day, but it was so fresh and so good it did not take too long before we were gulping it all down; even Andy.

After this it was back on the subway and the Ginza where we tried to get into the Sony building to look at the latest electronic gizmos but itwas still too early in the morning and not open yet. We then walked to the Emperor's Palace Gardens which was about a 30 minute walk away in the sunny but just above freezing day. What a beautiful walk this was.

The winter gardens inside the Palace.

Suddenly the hustle and bustle of Tokyo fell away and was replaced by the peace, quite, and beauty of the Emperor's Palace Gardens.

We saw some wonderful birds in the Palace mote as we walked to the East Gate. Once there we were able to enter the only part of the Palace open to the public. What a grand old stone wall that surrounds these fantastic gardens; even in winter they are filled with beauty.

After this we walked back to the Sony Building where we were able to finally see the magic of new electronics. We took a break from sightseeing and went to a movie (Sweeney Todd) which, was in English I am happy to say. It was a long day and we were all very tired but satisfied we had done as much as we could do this day. Andy returns home to Australia tomorrow. Julia and I continue on to Hakone leaving Tokyo behind us for the wonders of Mt. Fuji and beyond.

Fish Market Video


® The respective authors and organizations solely own all excerpts of copyright materials used on this site. These excerpts appear herein via section 107 of the USA copyright law: the doctrine of “fair use”. David Millett asserts all legal and moral rights over all parts of all media on this site; except those parts that relate to section 107 of the USA copyright law. ©